Prestashop, Magento and Woocommerce are three most popular ecommerce platforms to build powerful online store. But the question is which one is more powerful and better for starting or promoting your business online? Certainly, all three have their own pros and cons yet their objective is same, that is to design a fully functional ecommerce site.
After a careful research and also basing on experts suggestion, we are able to do a comparison review of Prestashop, Magento and Woocommerce. We hope this comparison review will be of help to those who are planning to start an online store and in the process of looking for an ecommerce platform most suitable to your business needs and market demands.
Prestashop is an open-source eCommerce solution with plenty of features. It is easy to setup. It allows you to use a quick configuration process. Prestashop is available for download in two options: fully-hosted Prestashop cloud where you can start selling online in minutes or self-hosted Prestashop where you can get full technical control of your online store. Both are entirely free and ready to support your ecommerce activities.
Online stores designed using Prestashop are absolutely gorgeous and can be managed easily even of you don’t have much technical knowledge.
Pros and Cons of Prestashop
- Prestashop is easy to install and customize.
- Dashboard is also very intuitive and very user friendly. All needed information is quickly available on Dashboard.
- Easier to configure than Magento and Woocommerce.
- It is available in 40 languages. Fully supports English and French.
- Prestashop has a Live Configurator to easily customize the PrestaShop theme by changing fonts and colors.
- It has only few customization options especially when it comes to graphics so you cannot play with the graphic element much.
- You’ll need to purchase templates, themes and modules if you want the most out of Prestashop.
- Prestashop has compatibility issues.
- They don’t have an official support team, but you can find plenty of developers and users in the PrestaShop forum.
Magento is also an open source eCommerce platform like Prestashop. It is an intelligent and smart platform for designing online store with powerful functionality. It is available in two editions – Community edition and Enterprise edition. The best idea is to test free version to get familiar with basics. Magento gives its users all kinds of modules, features and extensions. Their technical support has also gained many praises.
Magento is best for big businesses or those looking to grow their business quickly.
Pros and Cons of Magento
- Magento has more out-of-the box features than Prestashop and Woocommerce
- Magento is perfect choice for bulk products editing and capable of handling large databases smartly.
- You can smartly play with multiple categories and products. If you are running a small business, it’s better to opt for Prestashop or WooCommerce instead of choosing Magento in the beginning.
- Magento has wonderful power of handling massive amount of data and traffic.
- Magento has SEO features not found in Prestashop, WooCommerce or any other eCommerce solution.
- Provides more themes for the user.
- Great technical support.
- It is expensive for small business owners.
- Setting it up requires quite some time due to its complexity.
WooCommerce is a wonderful content management system that comes with plenty of functionalities. It is not a standalone CMS but is a solution that works within WordPress. It can be taken as best choice for serious content management and highly suitable for those companies who cannot afford Prestashop and Magento.
Founded in 2011, WooCommerce is relatively young compared to Prestashop and Magento. It is the best choice for those looking to add eCommerce functionality to their websites or blogs without having to leave the comfort of their CMS.
It has endless choices for plug-ins to make your store even more powerful and stronger. The best part is that it is easy to work with WooCommerce even if you are technologically challenged.
Pros and Cons of WooCommerce
- As a website owner, Woocommerce can be taken as best compromise between usability, cost and security.
- It is FREE and easy to use.
- It has less administration costs when compared to Prestashop and Magento. Images can be uploaded quickly and it has the capability to manage massive amount of data.
- Woocommerce is single stable platform for all of your website development needs that includes products management, blogs or content management, advertising, search engine optimization, user friendly & attractive interface, newsletter etc ….
- By default, it is not ecommerce ready instead you need a Woocommerce expert to build ecommerce store. Once you are done with initial setup, take help from an expert and ask him to build an online store using Woocommerce platform. Undoubtedly, blogging can be managed yourself but programming always needs help of an expert.
- Base plugin might not suffice, so premium extensions are needed.
- WooCommerce is useless if you are not a WordPress user.
At the end, it is clear Magento, PrestaShop and WooCommerce have their own advantages and disadvantages. Although it is clear that Magento is best for small to medium business and Magento and WooCommerce for any business size.
Certainly selecting best web development platform out of three Prestashop, Woocommerce and Magentodepends on your project requirements and budget too. The final decision is up to you surely, but this comparison review will help you in making wise decision according your business project hopefully.